Tuesday, March 29, 2011

San Ngin

Deboro's sweet grandpa passed away last week. He was D's father figure for most of his life. One of his fondest memories is when his grandpa made a kite for him out of chopsticks and newspapers. He would also make him laugh with his jokes, nicknames for everyone and his dancing.

I remember the first time I met his grandpa, D had taken me home to meet his family and his grandpa greeted me with a giant smile, held up one finger and said, "You're number one!" And from that day forward that was the nickname that he gave me. Knowing very little English, he always knew just what to say. D's brother-in-law commented at the funeral that San would always make sure to say, "Hello, Goodbye, and I'll see you soon" to everyone who came through the door. We will see him again soon and when we do, I hope he is holding up his finger in the air and still calling me "number one."



4 comments:

..::k.toms::.. said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a sweet story you shared about being "number one" ha!
What a joy it is to know that you will see him again!

J&K said...

So sorry to hear about your loss but what wonderful memories you both have - and your wedding pictures so gorgeous

Holly and Dave said...

what a sweet man, who brought so much love to his family. and a great post to honor him. sometimes fewer words say so much more.

Caitlin Selle said...

His face is so sweet. What a great man to have in Deboro's and your life. The Svay's were in my prayers all week.