Wednesday, September 17, 2008

38 Weeks and Counting




About a month ago a man at work came up to me and said "Your life is about to change forever," after an intense stare as if to make sure I fully grasped what he was implying he said, "but don't worry it'll be a good thing." Since then I have had several other similar encounters. What is this mixed message people are telling me?
Coming from a girl who has a hard time cutting off price tags or throwing away receipts just in case I decide I don't like it, this baby thing is becoming increasingly nerve racking. What if I'm not a good mom? What if she and I don't bond like you see in the movies? I'm fairly sure there is no return policy on this one.
A weird sense of competing emotions has come over me, I'm scared of the thought of raising a child but at the same time so giddy about thoughts of what she might look like and kissing her little baby cheeks.
So in this last couple of weeks, you can find me re-reading Baby Wise and What to Expect, doing a final cram session before becoming a parent and "my life changes forever...."


P.S. Yes, I am the world's worst self-photographer. This is a straight as they get.

9 comments:

Mandy said...

Lan- You seriously look gorgeous. You look so cute prego. You don't look like you are due in two weeks. You will be a great mom, I promise. Your motherly instinct will kick in as soon as they hand you your new baby girl. There will be hard times for sure, but the good times will out due them. Your baby girl will be beautiful and I can't wait until I can see her.
Love you Lan

Juls said...

You look SO Dang cute! If I didnt know better, I wouldnt think you only had 2 weeks to go. My visiting teachers came over yesterday and we were talking about motherly instincts. Only one of them is a mom and she said she still worries if she will be a good mom or not. I think thats something youll always worry about (even if its your 10th like I know youre going to have!) You are going to be an awesome mom and she is so lucky to have you guys are parents!

Unknown said...

Sweets - You look so BEAUTIFUL! I love you sooo much! I can't wait to see our little baby pantas...

- Your Brown Husband

Dash Of Sass said...

OK seriously you look so cute! i love it! You are going to make such a great mommy! I remember that feeling and being so overwhelmed! BUT you get over that AS SOON as they had you yoru baby. It is the best feeling in the world. At first I didnt really know what to do. Kiss him? Not kiss him? So i just CRIED! the love you will have for that little baby is so intense. It truly does change your life.... for the best! Being a mom is the BEST thing that has EVER happened to me, other than meeting my wonderful husband and getting married in the temple! I am always here for you if you need anything! I love you! Cant wait to meet the baby!

David said...

you better start reading those books, maybe big D should read how to delivery since you can’t even get into a doctor’s appointment, jk I’m way excited for you both, and i can’t wait to see little baby pantises cheeks too!

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

Wow Alana!!! You look absolutely amazing! Seriously gorgeous! You will wonder every day if you're a good mom but of course you will be. She chose you!

Holly and Dave said...

you and d will be awesome parents, and your little girl is lucky to have you. can't wait to meet the little pea in the pod!

Danielle said...

You are so beautiful! What a lucky man Deb is! You are going to be a great mom. I have no doubts about it. You took great care of me and I was only a roomie!

Anna said...

Alana, you look amazing pregnant. Seriously so cute. And I know that you will be a FANTASTIC mom, and she will know how much you and her proud papa love her, and there's nothing more important than that. I am SO excited to meet her!!! I adore her already, as I do her mama.

PS My daughter says: "I love you Auntie Lans and tell your baby to hurry up already, I want to meet my new BFF!"